3.05.2011

Some things you just have to give up...

 Movies and television have basically become a must-have in the American life, and probably even outside of America as well. But we're practically grown up thinking that movies/television are some of the only ways that we can be entertained. Do you know how much time is wasted from watching movies and television?

Listen to this fact: "According to the A.C. Nielsen Co., the average American watches more than 4 hours of TV each day (or 28 hours/week, or 2 months of nonstop TV-watching per year). In a 65-year life, that person will have spent 9 years glued to the tube."

Did you see that?! 9 YEARS?!
Okay, there's something seriously wrong with that picture. (Pun not intended).

Now, don't get me wrong. There are some really cool movies out there (Inception, anyone?) but at the same time, let me remind you that the Christian life is a life of sacrifice. If the desire in your heart is that you truly want to love and focus on Christ, you should be willing to give up things for Him.

I mean, when I think about it, how many movies have I watched that Christ would have been so displeased with? But we tell ourselves that it's mere entertainment and no biggie because we wouldn't cuss like that, or be violent like that, or have sex like that, etc. But is it really even building us up? Or in fact, is it making us desensitized in the sense that we think it's okay? How much stronger of a Christian would you be if you spent your movie/TV watching time reading your Bible or praying?
I know for sure, that I would definitely be farther ahead and stronger in my walk with Christ.

But I've believed a lie that movies can give me some form of satisfaction greater than that of God. Maybe you're stuck believing that lie too.
And so, to test out this idea that Christ satisfies more than entertainment does, I'm giving it up for a month.

Would you like to go on this endeavor with me?

It means giving up any television or movie watching you normally do for an entire month (that includes all you Netflix users!) I firmly believe that doing this will open my eyes to how much time I've wasted watching movies and TV, and will enable me to have better control over my movie/television-watching habits. 

Either way, please keep me in your prayers during this! :) 
"But whatever were gains to me I now consider loss for the sake of Christ. What is more, I consider everything a loss because of the surpassing worth of knowing Christ Jesus my Lord, for whose sake I have lost all things. I consider them garbage, that I may gain Christ"
Philippians 3:7-8

2 comments:

  1. Wow, that's a challenge, but with God's help, we can do all things! I know for myself television used to be an integral part of my lifestyle. I'm glad I now don't spend as much time glued to a tv screen (now it's probably a computer screen...haha!). It's hard to believe I might have already wasted a year watching tv. Ouch!
    Thanks for the informative blog post!
    I might take up this challenge sometime ;)

    PS Inception, yes!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hahah yes! I know, I probably spend way more time on the computer than I do with Tv/movies but my computer is a necessity since I'm cyber-schooled. :P If only I gave it up.... I can't imagine how free I would be.. -sits in amazement- Hahah!

    Yes! It's a good challenge and definitely worth it! Let me know if you do take it up. :)

    PS Glad to see you're a fan of Inception hahah, it's incredible!

    ReplyDelete

Please leave me your thoughts, I love to read them! :)

If you would like to contact me directly, then feel free to email me at: beautifullyselfless@yahoo.com