3.10.2011

Are you settling for less?

"Those who cling to worthless idols
  turn away from God’s love for them."

Jonah 2:8

This verse has been sticking with me a lot lately. It makes me think of what "worthless idols" I may be clinging to, and what love or grace from God that I could be missing out on.

It reminds me of one of my favorite quotes by E.M. Forester, who once said:
"We must be willing to let go of the life we have planned, so as to have the life that is waiting for us."

Which leads me to the question: What am I missing out on? What are YOU missing out on? If we could stop for a moment and let go of all our human desires and plans, what could we do for God? Where could He take us? What lengths could we go? 


If, for a moment, we could say no to our flesh and say a resounding yes to God and His will, what would He do with me? What would He do with you?


Often times I find myself seeing Point A (where I'm at) and Point B (where I would like to be at) and am lost in between and wonder how I'll ever get there. But what if I let go of that unbelief, what if I just let go of all I held onto, and instead, gripped firmly upon my loving, merciful, hopeful and everlasting Savior Jesus? 


What places could I go?


Sometimes we may see faithful followers of Jesus and admire their lifestyle and incredible faithfulness to God, and say to ourselves, "I'm not capable of being that faithful" or "Is that really possible?" All the while, we remain holding onto our own wants and desires, we refuse to let go of our "worthless idols" and miss out on God's incredible grace.


I don't know about you, but living a life enslaved to worthless idols is not a life I want to live.
I want to be free from which that holds me captive, and rather, I want to be surrounded and captivated by God's love and grace.
I want to be transformed to be more like Jesus - because I know and believe it's possible.
I want to let go of myself, and hold onto Jesus, because He's all that truly matters and because He creates purpose for my life.
I don't want to settle for any less than what Jesus could make of my life, what He could use my life for.


What could I be if I gave it all up to Him?
What could you be if you gave it all up to Him?

“Everything is possible for one who believes."
Mark 9:23

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave me your thoughts, I love to read them! :)

If you would like to contact me directly, then feel free to email me at: beautifullyselfless@yahoo.com