3.20.2011

I'm just not Good Enough

There's a specific area in my life which didn't work out so well and when reflecting on it, it makes me feel nearly valueless, worthless, or simply not good enough. "Where did I go wrong?" or "Where did I not measure up?" are typically the thoughts that run through my head. It hurts, let me just tell you, it really hurts.
It's funny how a single little failure or blemish can block out any previous success or joy.

Recently, I've found myself interacting with various people who have made similar comments, about how they find themselves feeling "not good enough". This feeling can spawn from a variety of things. For a girl it could be her body, or a guy it could be something he was unsuccessful in. It could be from relationships, school, your relationship with your parents or even siblings. The possibilities are endless! 

When I think about the way it makes me feel, the feeling of not good enough, at the same time there is something within me that says, "You don't have to feel this way". It makes me think about who or what I'm trying to measure up to. 

Who or what are you trying to measure up to? How's that working out for ya? Not too good, I presume?

The truth is, there will always be something or someone who you are "not good enough" to. But that's okay. 
The only opinion we should truly be concerned about is God's.

As followers of Christ, we know we're pathetic, weak and pretty much nothing in comparison to God. 
The world tells us that we must continually be changing the way we talk, act, dress, etc in order to be good enough. Or, to be more personal, the result of the failure in my life seemed to come out as that there was some area that I wasn't good enough in. No matter where your struggle is, there is always this certain expectation felt, that if it isn't met, then it must mean you fell short and/or aren't worth much.

It's a lie.

When you are saved by God, your identity is with Him. He gives you value. He gives you worth.
We need to let go of building our own "self-esteem" and rather, build something called a "God-esteem".

As followers of Christ, we are called to die to self, and live for Christ. 
We cannot do that when we're depending on ourselves, others, or the world for our value or contentment. The only thing we will find then is more unsatisfactory.

If today you feel not good enough, or that you aren't measuring up, then let this be a reminder that in Christ, you don't have to try to perform to be good enough. Don't let the world, others, or even yourself try to tell you that you're not good enough.
Zephaniah 3:17

When of Christ, we can rest assured that our value is found in Him! It makes me feel comforted to know that I don't have to be concerned about anyone else's measurements or expectations, but rather that as long as I am loving and serving my Jesus, my value is found with Him. And what a value that is! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave me your thoughts, I love to read them! :)

If you would like to contact me directly, then feel free to email me at: beautifullyselfless@yahoo.com