8.22.2011

What it's like to be Lost

Proverbs 3:5-6
"Trust in the Lord with all your heart, and lean not on your own understanding; in all your ways acknowledge Him, and He shall direct your paths."

Last week my Mom and I had the wonderful opportunity of visiting my brother, Gabe, who was graduating from basic training in the army in Georgia. We were so proud of him and couldn't wait to see him after the long 10 weeks it had been since he departed us.

We were only down there a few days, one of the days was a family day and then the next was his official graduation. Unfortunately, my Mom and I, though seemingly confident, had gotten the location all mixed up. Instead of realizing that the day was family day, we thought it was graduation, and so we spent a whole two hours going all over the place and missing the entire ceremony on family day. It was extremely frustrating and hard to maintain a calm attitude when everyone was telling us so many different places.

We had gone to one place, for another to tell us it was somewhere else, there was even a point when a kind gentlemen directed us to a place by driving us there. But even then we were still in the wrong. I can't even begin to tell you how disappointing it was and simply endless seeming. Were we ever going to get there?

It reminded me of the guidance that I have in knowing Jesus. It made me realize what millions, actually billions, of people feel like everyday. Spiritually, they are lost. Even some Christian's today are so far off from God that they too are lost in some senses. They are lost just like my Mom and I are, wandering from place to place, whatever another person told us, is where we went. And just like the world, these people are lost, they continue traveling from place to place, desiring to find what they have been searching for for so long, for all their life. Do they ever find it?

It gave me such joy and gladness to know that I have a Shepherd, that I have someone there to direct my path. And while sometimes in life we may feel so lost, or unsure of where to go, we must remember and be encouraged that by knowing God, we are far from ever being lost! We can be so thankful in knowing this, and live life in that confidence! :)

And to end the story happily, we did miss the 30 minute ceremony, but I got to see my favorite brother ever AND, we knew the area so well after being lost for two hours that we made it perfectly on time to the graduation with a good seat and view! :D

P.S. If any of you readers live in the south.. I just wanted to tell you you're all wonderful! I will never get over how friendly southerner's are! I might just have to move south someday!

Gabe and I after his graduation :)

2 comments:

  1. I'm so glad you and your Mom were able to go and from the pictures I saw that you posted it looked like you had a wonderful tim. You SHOULD be proud of your brother - and I'm sure he's proud of you, too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awww! Yes my Mom and I were so overjoyed to be able to see him! And he needed it too! Thank you for the sweet and encouraging comment! :)

    ReplyDelete

Please leave me your thoughts, I love to read them! :)

If you would like to contact me directly, then feel free to email me at: beautifullyselfless@yahoo.com