8.31.2011

PoP: Proverbs 17:10 - The Fool vs. The Man of Understanding



Rebuke.
 To express sharp disapproval or criticism of (someone) because of their behavior or actions.


Who likes rebuke? Certainly not me!
It can cause a wide range of emotions and reactions from people.
It can sting your pride.
It can cause a feeling of inferiority or failure.
Or a person can completely ignore and use it as the perfect ticket to rebel against authority.


In all honesty, I have felt most of the listed above, if not all of them, until I came across this verse. Check it out!

Proverbs 17:10 (NIV)
"A rebuke impresses a man of discernment more than a hundred lashes a fool."

(NASB)
"A rebuke goes deeper into one who has understanding than a hundred blows into a fool."

Wow. Isn't that verse incredible?

We often wish we didn't have to deal with rebukes, or we desire to disregard them, due to the way it causes us to feel. But what type of man can hear and accept a rebuke? A man of understanding.

First off, I would say a man of understanding is someone who is able to see the need and value of wisdom. In fact, one of the prominent things the book of Proverbs teaches is that wisdom and understanding are two of the most valuable things to attain.

 
Proverbs 8:11
"For wisdom is more precious than rubies, and nothing you desire can compare with her."

How do you become a man of understanding?

Proverbs 1:7
"The fear of the LORD is the beginning of knowledge, but fools despise wisdom and discipline."


On our own we are fools... afterall, we ARE sheep so to speak, and we all know that sheep aren't the wisest and most clever creatures. In fact, often times they get themselves into danger and trouble!

With that said, we realize our need of wisdom. Attaining wisdom starts by submitting to the King of perfect wisdom - God. The first sign of divine wisdom is fearing (or respecting) God. Only a man who has truly encountered, experienced and knows the Lord, can have an utmost and genuine respect for who He is.

A fool is more apt to disregard and push away a rebuke, because his interests are far different than a man of understanding. A man of understandings main goal is to glorify, please and be satisfied in God. A man of understanding will see the rebuke as a blessing in disguise you could say. Although it may not be the most wonderful thing to hear, it gives the man of understanding an opportunity to make changes to his lifestyle in order to make himself more pleasing and honoring to God.

All of our lives after becoming saved are full of moments when we need corrected or rebuked, after all, we are still sinners! Next time a rebuke comes your way, who will you choose to be? We always have a choice to be the fool, or the man of understanding. I hope and pray you choose the latter!


P.S. Oh hey there :) I'm sorry my posts have been less frequent recently. It's that time again, yep you know what I mean.. SCHOOL! Considering I am a freshie in college, I am still adjusting to the classroom life, after finishing up six years as a cyber-schooler! But after the first couple classes, I've begun to enjoy it and wow, I must have forgotten how interesting people are! I'll try to keep posting when I can.. but I only prefer to post when I actually have substance, so bear with me. :)


No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave me your thoughts, I love to read them! :)

If you would like to contact me directly, then feel free to email me at: beautifullyselfless@yahoo.com